Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Saturday

103. Goodbye to the Cameron Highlands

We arrived back in Tanah Rata after visiting the tea plantation and I went straight into town to ask (again) for a refund.

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!

You may recall the trouble I had in getting a refund, I wrote about it here (post 96). Well, the so called boss "Karen" still wasn't there (why am I not surprised?) and some rude bloke - stupid git, lied. He said, "According to the International Law for tourists when you have paid there is no refund." What a load of bulltish - the idiot even argued there was such a law. Had he said he spoke with his boss, but they don't refund, it would have at least been honest.
The giving of refunds is up to the owner/boss - were they concerned about the quality and good name they'd refund as a good PR policy.

 
Above: Kangs Hotel
My advice - stay away from them. If I'm lucky enough to return to Malaysia, I wouldn't stay with Kangs - I wouldn't trust them with a ten foot barge pole. They have two places - the hotel which is in the main street and the lodge which is in a side street. There are a lot nicer places to stay which are clean.


Time for Coffee

I fortified myself with a cappuccino from Starbucks (personally I loathe Starbucks and don't buy my coffee from them back home ever, but here in Malaysia, it's the only place you can get a cappuccino) and sat outside sipping it. At 10 MYR it's not really cheap - about the same price as back home, but hey! I'm not complaining.
After this I walked back to the Inn and had tea. Sitting outside at the outdoor tables and chairs, I met a very interesting fellow called Greg, a Canadian who collects (and works with) butterflies. He did have lots of interesting tales about the CIA ("Central Idiots Agency"), Bush, 911 etc.
Ordered tea at 8.00 - I still haven't had a shower, meant to have one about 5 while it was still warm. Must have one after dinner and pack my suitcase. Dinner was fried noodles with egg and vegetables. And "French fries". The noodles looked and tasted like 2 minute noodles - disappointing really - the "French fries" were frozen crinkle cut chips. I wished I hadn't ordered either - should have gone for the rice. Total cost 9.50 MYR. Ganesh, the owner said go to Room 7 to order (the two girls working sleep there) - they didn't look too pleased - one was in pj's, the other just had a towel wrapped around her. But the menu list says 1PM to 9PM. Perhaps they couldn't tell the time or their watches were fast. It's funny what comes back to you when you start reading what you'd written two years ago isn't it? If I hadn't written all this down, I never would have been making this post like this that's for sure. So the moral is - Write it Down! Write it Down!


 
Above: Datura - Angels Trumpet
I took this photo that evening while sitting outside my room. They are a most beautiful flower with velvety looking petals and large, shiny dark green leaves but beware - for all their beauty, they are deadly. Along with Deadly Nightshade, Mandrake and Henbane, Datura belongs to the classic "witches' weeds." Most parts of the plants contain toxic hallucinogens, and datura has a long history of use for causing delirious states and death. It was well known as an essential ingredient of love potions and witches' brews!


 
Above: One very big mossie!
And there was this humungous mosquito - she looks like a bomber getting ready for attack! I remember when I saw it, thinking of the Australian song "Little Aussie Mossie" - we have songs about just about anything and this one is one of my favourites. (The song, not the mossie)
There's a little Ausse mossie in her little Ausse cossie,
And she's lookin' for a possie on your unprotected skin,
When she's finished her inspection
She will give you an injection
You'll have an itch to show you where the Aussie mossie's been.
There's a great proliferation of the mossie population
It's a constant irritation to as all
Yes it's hard to feel affection
When she heads in your direction
For the little Aussie mossie is out to get us all.

It wouldn't matter whether it's an Aussie mossie or a Malaysian mossie - they're all the same.
I uploaded it to YouTube - You can listen to the song here.


Time to Leave
It's Friday the 19th and all too soon it was time to leave. After having toast for breaky - cost 160.90 MYR, I said my goodbyes and headed off to the bus stop. The bus was on time and a very comfortable VIP coach. Instead if having two rows of seats either side with a middle aisle, there is only one row of seats down the left side and two on the other side. This meant the seats were spacious and there was plenty of leg room - you can see this in the photo below.

 
Above: VIP Bus
I had the front seat on the left side of the bus (in the photo it's on the right). We had these lovely curtains with bobbles and tails too - a vehicle fit for royalty. There were two stuck-up Americans next door (seats to my right) from Florida who were so far up themselves that I'm sure they'd get a stiff neck!


 
Above: Touch'n'Go
One of the Touch'n'Gos along the highways - you have to pay to use the roads.


 
Above: Last photo of the Cameron Highlands
This is the last photo and last look at the Cameron Highlands - a nice interlude where the weather is pleasant, no humidity, green hills and lots of fresh air.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...