Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Friday

96. Kang Traveller's Lodge - Warning

I had pre-booked two nights accommodation at Kang Traveller's Lodge (formerly Daniel's Lodge). The bus dropped me off in the main street, I asked directions and walked up the hilly slope. From the street, the outside looks like an old house with an overgrown garden. On entering, I was shocked to meet the man in charge - he was naked except for a pair of jeans - bare chested and bare foot. I should have realised then and turned tail. Alas, stupidly I didn't. (Yes, we all know things with hindsight don't we?)

Dirty and disgusting
The room which was "reserved" - there were two he said, had no bathroom facilities. Walking through the place there were open drains/sewers for the water and the whole place looked (and smelt) disgusting. The toilets were dirty and disgusting - a hole in the ground, a bucket and not much else. Plenty of water all over the floors though.

The first room he showed me was terrible, never in my life had I seen such a hovel. I told him no, was there anything else? He took me outside and we turned right (from the street, the room is on the left) there were a couple of rooms made of flimsy panelboard. He opened the door and my heart sank - the room stank, the window didn't close properly, there was a one inch gap under the door, there was barely enough room to walk around the bed and there was no power point. As this was all there was and not having been in a situation like this before, I took it.


Mildew on the bedding
I handed over my credit card and he said no credit card, cash only. Now, had I been smart, I should have said I didn't have any cash on me and would need to go to a bank. Then gone and looked for alternative accommodation. Foolishly I handed over 25 MYR. I went back to the room to unpack and discovered the bedding and mattress were mouldy and had mildew on them.

This was worse than I thought. I went and found the tourist information counter (It's where the buses pick you up) and explained what had happened and asked the lady could she recommend a place. She said "We never recommend Kang to anybody, it is very dirty and disgusting." They were her words. She suggested Cameronian Inn - 40 MYR for single room with share toilet, 65 MYR for single room with private toilet/shower. I chose the private one.
I was given Room 21, you have to go outside out the back door which is all under cover, the room was on the right. Very basic, but clean. Ran my fingers along the bedside table - no dust. The owner Ganesh had his driver come and drive me back to Kangs to get my suitcase.

 

No refund
The bare chested fellow looked at me and I apologised and said I wasn't going to be staying here, the bed had mildew etc. Never have I seen a face change so quickly. I wondered later if this had happened before. Anyway, we collected my suitcase and I asked politely for my money back. No he snarled, no refund. Why asks I? Because it has already gone through. I knew he was lying - there was no computer, just a piece of paper. Look I reasoned, my suitcase was only here for less than half and hour etc. but no salada. Nothing doing. You want refund - you go see boss.

I did try the "boss" who is at their hotel in the main street. The fellow there was even ruder and the "boss lady" was always conveniently "in Ipoh."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...