Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Friday

95. Overland to Cameron Highlands

Driving over Penang Bridge was the first time I'd seen it up close and there was some traffic but not much. The sky was a lovely yellow colour - a remnant from the sunrise. The day was partly cloudy although we did have some brilliantly blue skies as well.

Above: Paying the toll
Twenty minutes after leaving the hotel, the bus stopped here to pay a toll. I'm not exactly sure where this is, but after doing some research, I believe it may be Butterworth.


Above: Stop between Penang and Tanah Rata
After the tollway we arrived here 75 minutes later. Again, I couldn't say exactly where it was and am kicking myself that I didn't think to ask at the time or at least look for a sign. Anyway, we stopped here for a coffee break/toilet stop and we all stretched our legs. The smokers as usual congregated outside puffing away. I went in to the place and found a shop on the left hand side and asked if they made coffee. After much hand gesturing and nodding (they spoke little English and I had no Malay) my coffee was ordered. The poor ladies were ever so nice and ever so slow - by the time it was ready it was almost time to board the bus.

So - should you be on the minibus forget the coffee and just buy some fruit or a snack as the bus doesn't really stop for long - just enough time to go to the loo and have a quick stretch of the legs.

This was a very pretty place with lots of flowers - the bougainvillea was pretty with a variegated leaf
Above: Bougainvilleas


and another flower whose name I don't know.
Above: Flower with yellow centre


Do you know where this place is?
However, after a lot of searching, the only placed I found is the Terminal Bas Ekspres Medan Gopeng Ipoh, but I don't think this is correct because where we stopped there were a lot of trees/shrubs/flowers and the only retail place is the one you see in the photo.

If anyone reading this should happen to know this place, it'd be great if you would leave a comment and let me know. Thanks.☺


Above: Lightning cloud
The scenery changed and we were surrounded by luscious forests and trees. I remember thinking at the time this tree looked like it was being struck by lightning. Strange cloud formation.

Building in progress
You couldn't help noticing a huge swathe of the forests had been cut down and everywhere there seemed to be buildings going up - huge, modern monstrosities that were hotels and resorts which stood out like sore thumbs. The countryside was being destroyed for resort developments and golf courses. It really did make an ugly blot on the landscape and for what? Expensive resorts? It seemed such a pity that this was happening, with so much natural beauty it would be better by far to keep that beauty and make do with what had already been there. There are plenty of accommodation places, many of which fit in with their surroundings so why cannot the Malaysian government be content and stop chasing the tourist dollar for ugly eyesores?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...