Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Sunday

78. Penang Tours

You can ride around on trishaws in both Batu Ferringhi and Georgetown. The ones around GTown do a heritage tour and you can have English "high tea" at the E & O included.
The temples - Kek Lok Si of course, Wat Chayamangkalaram with the sleeping buddha, the Dhammikarama Burmese Buddhist Temple has beautiful gardens, Sri Mahamariamman Temple with it's colourful statues, also Khoo Kongsi Temple and don't miss Chew Jetty.
I did a couple of (private) tours organised by the hotel at their tour desk, Winnie was wonderful and organised it all in a matter of minutes. As I effectively had only one day to see everything, this was the best option.

Penang Hill and Temple Tour
My first was by car, my driver was also my guide and included a ride on the funicular train to Penang Hill, a visit to Kek Lok Si temple. As the railway was closed for renovations, Discovery Overland Tours altered the itinery and after seeing Kek Lok Si, we went driving along some lovely streets full of marvelous heritage buildings, then went to Wat Chaiyamangalaram Temple, the botanic gardens, (the, short train ride was incluided), Sri Mahamariamman Temple followed by a lovely drive along Gurney Drive where my driver stopped for me to have lunch (lunch not included). The tour started at 8.30am and went for five hours.
Although I was a little disappointed the funicular train was still not operating, it actually worked out well because I got to see all the temples I had ear-marked on my "must see" list.

Penang Heritage & Trishaw Tour
The second tour I did was the Penang Heritage & Trishaw tour which included Fort Cornwallis (outside view), Weld Quay ~ Chew Jetty, Khoo Kongsi, Street of Harmony, Little India (Mahamariamman Temple), the Penang Peranakan Mansion and English high tea at the E & O Hotel. This tour went for four hours and started at 2.00pm.

These tours are "private" tours and I can see the difference between doing a private tour which is one on one and doing a day tour with a driver and about 40 other people on a bus.
These tours were run by Discovery Overland Tours and they had a tour desk at the Bayview.
Above: Overland Discovery Tours
All their drivers and guides wear floral green shirts.

As there was so much to see, I will post about the places I visited in my next posts.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...