Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Tuesday

25. Luggage

Back in 2004, I started off with the biggest suitcase - a 71cm bright blue one from the Reject shop. Didn't cost all that much and it lasted. I thought being large, instead of each of us having a suitcase we could share. I learnt though that that is not the brightest of ideas. Much better to have something smaller for each of us.

So, then I "downsized" to a 64cm one. This was better, but it's amazing how heavy they are to lug around - I speak from experience. Ever pulled a hefty 64cm tractor on rollers around New Zealand? The weight of it empty was 4.3 kg. Decided for my FNQ trip to "downsize" further - this time I bought a duffle bag on wheels. The sales lady assured me yes it would stand up and no it would not fall over.

Sadly to say, she lied. The damned thing toppled over and wouldn't stand up no matter what I did. Admittedly it was lighter than my 64cm job, but it was a real Pain having to hold onto the stupid thing. Ever been waiting in line to check in or sitting waiting for the bus but not being able to sit comfortable because you have this duffle bag falling over like a drunken sailor?

It was one thing to be having a duffel that wouldn't stand by itself, and I realise there was no way I could hack carting the thing around Malaysia and Cambodia in all that heat! It'd be unbearable. Well at least to me.☺

The Great Search
So - then began the "great search". I'd seen fellow travellers with 55cm suitcases and this was what I was aiming for. The only problem was, in the past luggage companies made them in four sizes - 71cm, 64cm, 55cm, and 46cm. Now I find that Antler (no doubt to cut costs) have "downsized" themselves - they no longer make a 55cm and 46cm. Most of their new range is 71cm, 64cm and 51cm. The 51cm size is just too small (I have their 46cm one) and this holds buggerall. Get a toiletries bag, a pair of thongs and a couple of tshirts and it's full. For the benifit of the reader, in Australia thongs re worn on the feet. What some people call flipflops, or jandals if you're from NZ.

I'd have liked to get Antler's new Aeon Air which weighed only 3.6kg but it didn't come in 55cm.


Trolley Suitcase 55cm
I did find the Litestream II still came in the full range, so it was off we go - went from shop to shop and store to store. Seems like it's a popular size and many luggage shops had sold out of it. But I was in luck eventually and found one.

Then I decided to get a proper piece of luggage for "carry on". In the past, I've had an assortment of different things, usually I wear a lightweight backpack on the plane, but of course every time you want something, it's undo the straps take it off, unzip, rezip put it back on etc. etc.


Hand Luggage
This is what I was looking for. Myer has 40% off at the time which was a bonus, and this was the last one left. Lucky me! I was thrilled to finally have something I really liked. The bag is actually the beauty case - the flight bag was similar, but a little larger with only one zip and didn't have the compartments of the beauty case. The only downside (for me) I would've preferred the openings to have two zips that meet in the middle whereas zips go all the way around and open/close at the bottom of the bag. It's probably been designed this say for security as you can lock the zips.

Still, I am very pleased with both my purchases, and when I was packing the "flight" bag at the weekend and deciding where to place things, I felt like a proper tourist/traveller - all because I had the "right" luggage! Isn't that silly eh? I used to see other passengers at airports and noticed the luggage they carried on board and always wished I had something like that.


Luggage Set
I like how the little bag goes over the handle and both can be wheeled together as one item.

Lightweight Backpack
The flight bag is for travel but after arriving and checking into accommodation, I'll be taking a backpack. This one is very lightweight and has a waist strap which is very good because it takes the weight off your shoulders. I bought this one when I was in Cairns in 2008 and it's fantastic for travelling around.

A Word of Warning
People have advised me not to wear a backpack as you can get your stuff stolen. People come behind and slit the bottom of your back and then whoosh! everything falls out and by the time you're aware if it, it's too late. Somebody suggested to me to place a piece of cardboard on the bottom of the bag so if someone did open it with a knife, the cardboard would help stop things from falling out.

Have also been advised - don't keep in your backpack anything you can't afford to lose. So - no passport, camera, keys, money, credit cards, etc in there. (That's why you have a money belt) Camera has a long strap and can be worn around the neck or thread your belt through the belt loop on the case.

Drink bottle, maps, tourist brochures, smokes, sunscreen insect repellent etc can all go in the backpack.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...