Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Friday

28. Kuala Lumpur Airport

Thursday 11th March

 
Above: Our plane
Our flight arrived on time at LCCT airport in Kuala Lumpur at 6.35am and I had my first taste of Asia, and my first sight of Malaysia. I can tell you it was a most thrilling moment. Many passengers were taking photographs and we slowly made our way across the tarmac. Going through customs it was exciting to see my passport finally had a stamp on it. Surprisingly, the luggage didn't take very long to start coming down the baggage collection area.

 
Above: Sunrise Skies
A most beautiful sky tinged with salmon pink and orange filled the early morning as the sun was about to rise. Even though it was very early I could feel the heat and humidity and being unnacustomed realised the importance of drinking water - and plenty of it. The only downside given the copious amount of water was the need to find the loo!

 
Above: Early morning breakfast
I went to a cafe which had eggs on toast on their menu only to find after a goodly wait that eggs on toast were "not on today" and neither was anything else on that page.

So I made my way to the Oldtown White Coffee place and ordered a coffee. A helpful gent explained the different types of coffee and recommended I try "this one" - the one listed at the top.

 
Above: Malaysian Police
On my way to catch the free shuttle bus to the Tunes Hotel, I asked these two policemen if I could take a photo. The chap on the left seemed very happy and stuck out his chest, cradled his weapon and smiled winningly.

A few tips
a) For those who haven't travelled to Malaysia before, make sure you have plenty of cash. Credit cards may be good for hotel bills and car hire, but you cannot use a credit card at the airport - everyone wants cash only. In most shops and businesses they do not take credit cards either, although one of the larger supermarket type places would take a credit card provided the amount was over MYR 10. Also, the duty free shop at LCCT airport will accept credit cards only if the amount is over MYR 50. The advice I had been given back home to take cash and pay for everything by credit card proved not to be very good advice at all.

b) Buy a large bottle of water, it works out far more cost effective. I had two or three smaller sized bottle (around 500 - 600 ml) and tipped water from the larger one into these.

c) Free shuttle buses are advertised as taking you to/from LCCT to Tunes Hotel, but the driver of the free shuttle (there was a large sign in the front window) refused to take me. I found this very annoying and waited for the next shuttle - the same thing happened. In the end I had to get on the non free bus and pay my fare to the hotel.

d) After depositing luggage at the hotel, you then need to catch a bus back to LCCT in order to get a bus to Kuala Lumpur.


During the flight, Air Asia crew sell bus tickets to Kuala Lumpur (from memory it was either MYR9 or MYR 13. Their buses are red and have Air Asia written on the side. Their employees wear red T shirts.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You know how much I love travelling and although I've visited some countries in the Far East, I have never been to Malaysia or Cambodia. The second is on top of my list so I can't wait to see your photos as I'm sure you have wonderful shots of Angkor Wat! :-)

Davine said...

I am so enjoying reading about your journey it is like being there with you.

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Hi JM,
Cambodia was an amazing place and I plan to go back there just as soon as my money box gets full again! And yes, I have heaps of photos of Angkor Wat.
Cheers.

Davine,
Thanks, I'm glad you feel like that - I'm doing the blog from start to finish so it's sort of like a diary.
Keep smiling.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...