Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Monday

16. Food - Malaysia, Penang

Now we move onto Penang, the "Pearl of the Orient" - noted for it's wonderful array of foods and said to be the best place in Malaysia for food. There's complexes, street hawkers, shopping malls and a wonderful array of restaurants. Gurney Mall is fancy with many food outlets.
Above: Asam Laksa
This is a Penang speciality

I do intend to go to the E & O Hotel in Georgetown and either have a meal or maybe afternoon tea. The E & O (Eastern and Oriental) is to Penang what Raffles is to Singapore. Raffles may be known for its "gin slings", but the E & O is known for its colonial charm and fine traditions. Someone living in Penang said they do a marvelous buffet lunch with a "dazzleing variety of dishes for a very modest price" - sounds good to me.

I have visions of sitting among the potted palms, beautiful antique dècor, white damask table linen and sparkling crystal and silverware eating from delicate fine bone china and sipping tea from an equally delicate fine bone china teacup! (Well a girl can dream),

Anyway, getting back to the point - in Love Lane where I'm staying, there's a night food market and a "hole in the wall" place that does good noodles.

I've just been checking out the E & O and one of their dining areas is Farquhar’s Bar which according to their website has traditional pub fare with a slice of colonial Malaya - Hearty Pub Grub 11.00am - 11.00pm daily, including Fish & Chips, Bangers & Mash, Steak & Kidney Pie, Ploughman's Lunch and Shepherd's Pie. Yes, I know it's "Western" food, but it sounds lovely and what a story I'll have to recount - how I went to one of the most famous hotels and ate the most deliciously glorious meal, etc. etc. etc. Seems one should make a reservation, so I'd have to call them, 04 - 222 2000 ext. 3177. Will ask at the place I'm staying.

The City Bayview Hotel next door and Cititel Hotel coffee house buffet resturant a couple of kms away also offer great buffet lunches. But I think I'll stick with the E & O. The Salsa Resturant on the second floor of the Continental Hotel have "tim sum" or semi western menu buffet lunch for about US$5.

So, for Penang we have
a) The E & O for buffet lunch
b) Gurney Mall
c) Night Food Market opposite Love Lane
d) Noodles
e) Tim sum at the Continental Hotel.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...