Pages

Flowers of Cambodia & Malaysia

Melbourne Time

Malaysia Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Malaysia and Cambodia

Hello,

This is about my upcoming trip to Malaysia and Cambodia. The first part is pre-trip - information about flights, itineraries, accommodation and all the things that you need to do to plan an overseas holiday. This is my first trip to Asia and I hope it may help others. Comments are very welcome and anyone who has travelled to Malaysia and/or Cambodia, please feel free to comment and offer any advice or tips that you think would be helpful. As of today ( 28th February) , in exactly 11 days (minus 30 minutes) I will be in Kuala Lumpur.
Cheers.

I had the most amazing time and hope you enjoy reading about my trip. Each post is numbered and I'm doing them in order from start to finish - a little like a diary.

ANGKOR WAT SUNRISE




Monday

29. Kuala Lumpur - Getting Lost

Wasn't overly fond of KL, to me it was just a big, sprawling city. Then again, had I spent say four or five nights there, it may have been different. Arrived at KL Sentral on the bus from the airport and got lost finding the train I'd been advised to catch, finally found it - I had to travel four stops. And promptly became hopelessly lost again. So I legged it to a bus stop and ended up back where I was before. (KL Sentral)

Had I just caught the tourist hop-on/hop-off bus at Sentral, I'd have had more time, and I'd recommend for anyone who hasn't been there before, to get that bus and do the full circuit before getting off at any stops. I didn't have time for that. The driver told me the ticket was valid for the next day as well, but as I was flying out the next morning was unable to make use of that.

You see, one of the problems with KL Sentral is the roads are on different levels. The bus lets you off at one level, then you have to go up (or was it down) to the next level to catch the Tourist bus. Same with the trains, they aren't on the same level either. Very confusing, a little like Alice in Wonderland.☺

Anyway, on with my travels...


After becoming hopelessly lost for the second time, I found myself in a h u g e shopping complex - I declare there is nothing back home here in Oz that is anywhere near as big.


Above: Where Am I?
I almost had a crick in my neck as I gawped at the beautiful lines and floors above. What I thought amusing - here was I, an Australian from Australia, with New Zealand our nearest neighbour, thousands of miles away in Malaysia and there, right in front of me was... the New Zealand Natural shop! It is a small world isn't it?

Above: Suria KLCC
Finally, after exiting thie shopaholics delight and wondering where on earth I was, as I turned around, there right in front of me was the name - Suria KLCC.

I still had no idea where I was. I had wanted to see the Petronas Towers and get a pass to go to the bridge for the 360º view and was told you need to get there early for a pass and catching the train from Sentral would be far quicker than catching the Tourist Hop-on/Hop-off Bus. What with all the time I spent in limbo (read being lost) it was too late for that. So I abandoned that idea and decided to go to the Tourist Information Centre. Easier said than done. Here I was in a strange country, in a place I'd never been before with no knowledge of where I was or how to get to where I wanted to go. (Hence me saying earlier it's wiser to get the Tourist bus.)

Finding a bus stop and asking how to get to the Info Centre and being told to wait at bus stop number two, I did just that. The third bus that came along went there so I hopped on, and found they didn't have change so ended up getting a free ride! I asked the lady if she could let me know which was my stop. She did. I was relieved I had finally found where I needed to be.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...